Musings for September 2018

William Flockton his son Thomas Flockton,

grandson Charles and their legacy

 

Three of the men involved in the architectural dynasty responsible for the way Sheffield looks today. They were architects working in the city from 1833 until the mid-1920s The Company started in the early 1830s when William Flockton, the son of a carpenter and builder, established himself as an architect. This was in the era when grandeur and money needed to be exhibited.

Most of the large public buildings in the city and its outer suburbs were wholly or in part designed by them. Without their influence Sheffield would undoubtedly look very different today.

There are too many buildings to list individually but all of us see their work on a daily basis. The Sheffield Society of Architects has a walking map on their website of Flockton’s major works.

These include the early ones, The Mount, Broomhill, which has been called a miniature Chatsworth; Wesley College, now called St Edwards school; the Mappin Art Gallery in Weston Park; Channing Hall; Ecclesall Brierly Workhouse, later known as Nether Edge Hospital; Aizlewood’s Mill; the Chapel at the General Cemetery; the extension to the Old Town Hall which incorporates the clock tower; many churches including Christ Church, Pitsmoor and St Andrew’s United Reformed Church; commercial buildings such as the Royal Bank of Scotland on Church Street; Sheffield Water Works Company and the Star and Telegraph building.  There are many smaller buildings scattered about the city, some of them lodges for grand buildings long since demolished.

These men and their architectural company gave the people of Sheffield a sense of pride in their city by designing some of the grand edifices which we still see around us today.

 

Jean Stevenson

Lodge at The Towers, Sandygate

Photo:  PJAS 13.09.18

Star & Telegraph Building, High Street, Sheffield

Photo:  PJAS 13.09.18

Print Print | Sitemap
© Sheffield Visual Arts Group